Pick from the Following Books about Trees
- The Tree Farmer, by Chuck Leavell and Nicholas Craotta and illustrated by Rebecca Bleau is a tale of the gifts of trees and our responsibility to care for trees, generation to generation. A grandson confronts his grandfather, a tree farmer, about how he can grow trees with so much care, only to cut them down. But as they walk together through the trees, they discover the majesty of the forest and enjoy the life journey of each tree. VSP Books
- Are Trees Alive? by Debbie S. Miller,iIllustrated by Stacey Schuett. A poetic description of how trees and people are alike. The wonderful illustrations depict trees and people from many parts of the world to show shared appreciation of the beauty and gifts of trees
- Tree Bear's Adventures In Learning by June A. Bradlaw,
illustrations by Harry Rossoll. With the help of the tree of knowledge,
TreeBear finds his own unique way of teaching people about the
"Good Things That Come From Trees" and how trees are planted
- The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein A tree shares everything she
has to offer with a boy she loves, only asking for his love in return.
- The Lorax by Dr. Seuss The Oncler cuts down all of the Truffula
Trees making Thneeds- "something everyone needs." And things
won't change UNLESS ...
- The Tree by Judy Hindley Simple poems about trees.
- A Tree Is Nice by Janice May Udry
- Once There Was A Tree by Natalia Romanova
- Farewell To Shady Glade by Bill Peet Shady Glade, a home to many animals, begins to disappear forever.
- The Wump World by Bill Peet The imaginary Wumps get pushed out of their homes and watch as the natural resources disappear due to development.
- Where Once There Was A Wood by Denise Fleming A simplistic, yet powerful story of homes slowly replacing the once beautiful woods.
- The Great Kapok Tree by Lynne Cherry A man who plans to chop down a great Kapok tree falls asleep and hears many messages from the animals who live in the forest.
- One Day In The Woods by Jean Craighead George An interesting story featuring many scientific details about things you would find on a day in the woods.
- Night Tree by Eve Bunting A family visits their special tree on Christmas Eve and watch the wonders it brings in the night.
- A B Cedar: An Alphabet of Trees by George Ella Lyon
- A Big Tree by Bruce Hiscock
- Long Live Earth by Meighan Morrison A powerful message about the importance of preserving our home, Earth. Beautiful quilt squares help tell the story on each page.
- Blue and Beautiful Planet Earth, Our Home by Ruth Rocha & Octavio Roth
A book of hope and peace.
- Tree of Life: The World of the African Baobab by Barbara Bash Learn about the interesting life cycle of the African Baobab.
- Flute's Journey: The Life Of A Wood Thrush by Lynne Cherry Fly with Flute and learn about his life and home in the woods.
- Dear Children of the Earth: A Letter From Home by Schim Schimmel The Earth writes a beautifully illustrated letter about her concerns and needs.
- Mother Earth by Nancy Luenn Personification and metaphor is used in this book to tell about the importance of Mother Earth.
- Just A Dream by Chris Van Allsburg A young boy dreams about the future if people don't take care of it.
- The Tree in the Moon by Rosalind Kerven
- The Grandpa Tree by Mike Donahue
- For the Love of the Earth by P.K. Halinan A simple poem about the importance of caring for our Earth.
- The Little House by Virginia Lee Burton A little house in the country becomes overwhelmed by city growth.
- Be A Friend To Trees by Patricia Lauber Discusses the importance of trees as sources of food, oxygen, and other essential things.
- The Apartment House Tree by Bette Killion Describes how a tall tree at the edge of the woods can provide living space for multitudes of animals.
- Ten Tall OakTrees by Richard Edwards Over a period of time a stand of ten oak trees is cut down until there are none left.
- A Possible Tree by Josephine Haskell Aldridge A crooked tree keeps several animals safe from harm.
- The Birthday Tree by Paul Fleischman When a boy goes to sea, his parents watch as the tree planted at his birth reflects his fortunes and misfortunes.
- The Tenth Good Thing About Barney by Judith Viorst A great book to begin a discussion on decomposition and composting. A small boy delivers a funeral oration detailing good things about his cat who has died. The tenth? That he will nourish the flowers in the garden in which he is buried.
- Jack and the Meanstalk by Brian and Rebecca Wildsmith A scientist concocts a formula to make plants grow faster and a "meanstalk" that grows into outerspace is created. When a space monster begins to crawl down the plant, a root-chewing animal must save the day.
- The Apple Pie Tree by Zoe Hall Apple pie never tastes as good as the kind you grow yourself.
- Peach & Blue by Sarah S. Kilborne He’s a big blue-bellied toad, hopping aimlessly through life. She’s a peach, yearning for escape and adventure. And after they meet one afternoon, neither will ever be the same.
- Maya and the Town That Loved a Tree by Kiki and Kathryn Shaw A young girl teaches her polluted urban community to love a tree and work towards cleaning their city.
- Red Leaf, Yellow Leaf by Lois Ehlert A young child plants a sugar maple tree and they become friends as they grow up together.
- The Seasons Of Arnold’s Apple Tree by Gail Gibbons Follow a young boy through the 4 seasons as he shares the joys of his apple tree.
- How To Make an Apple Pie and See the World by Marjorie Priceman From the jungles of Sri Lanka to the apple orchards of Vermont, travel with an energetic little baker as she gathers the ingredients for an apple pie.
- Old Elm Speaks: Tree Poems by Kristine O’Connell George Poems full of humor and imagination that invite you to look at trees, listen to the trees, and perhaps even answer the trees.
- McBroom’s Wonderful One-Acre Farm by Sid Fleischman A fun story about soil so rich seeds spring up to full grown plants in minutes.
- The People Who Hugged Trees: An Environmental Folktale adapted by Deborah Lee Rose
A young girl in a village in India shows great courage and wisdom in helping the warrior prince see the importance of the trees.
- The Rainstick: A Fable by Sandra Chisholm Robinson Join a young boy and help him solve a riddle while on his quest for rain.
- The Empty Pot by Demi A young boy inherits a kingdom due to his love of plants and his honest nature.
- Turkey’s Gift to the People by Ani Rucki When a great flood comes, all the animals run for shelter. They all help each other to safety, but it is Turkey who helps the whole world with the gift he brings.
- Song of the Trees by Mildred Taylor During the Depression, a rural family deeply attached to the forest on their land, tries to save it from being cut down by an unscrupulous man.
- The Sign of the Beaver by Elizabeth George Speare A young boy has to protect his family home while his father goes to pick up the rest of his family. He is befriended by the Penobscot Indian Tribe who teach him how to use nature to survive.
- My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George A novel showing how a young boy survives in the wilderness.
- The Plant That Ate Dirty Socks by Nancy McArthur (series) The appearance of two giant, litter-eating plants helps solve Norman’s problem of keeping his brother Michael’s junk from cluttering his half of the room. Well, it helps for awhile, anyway...
- The Chocolate Tree by Allen M. Young An adult book which can be shared with children. A man hypothesizes how chocolate may have been discovered.
- The Man Who Planted Trees by Jean Giono A story of a man’s generosity to nature- and through nature, to other human beings
- The Tree by Pascale De Bourgoing & Gallimard Jeunesse
- Outside and Inside Trees by Sandra Markle
- Eyewitness Books: Tree by David Burnie Explores the anatomy and life cycle of trees
- It Could Still Be A Tree by Allan Fowler
- Trees by Rena K. Kirkpatrick
- My Life, My Trees by Richard St. Barbe Baker
- A Tree Is Growing by Arthur Dorros Depicts the life cycle of a great oak tree, showing how roots, bark, and leaves help a tree grow.
- Sky Tree by Thomas Locker Splendid paintings that show the change of one tree.
- The Blossom On The Bough: A Book Of Trees by Anne Ophelia Dowden Discusses the importance of the forest, the parts and cycles of trees, the functions of flowers and fruits, etc
- Guess What Trees Do? By Barbara Rinkoff Describes the many ways trees benefit man.
- Trees by Ivan M. Anatta Describes the physical characteristics and survival strategies of some of the world’s most interesting trees.
- Trees by Fandex Family Field Guides 50 full-color cards to help you identify North American trees by leaf, bark, and seed.
- Autumn Leaves by Ken Robbins Close-up color pictures share leaf details, notes explain the how and why of leaves color changes, and a simple text provide clues for tree identification.
- How A Seed Grows by Helene Jordan Follow the development of seeds to dispersal and growth.
- One Good Apple: Growing Food for the Sake of the Earth by Catherine Paladino This book empowers our next generation of farmers and gardeners by presenting a way of growing good food that nourishes not only us, but the earth as well.